Sunday, November 1, 2020

The Light Shines Brightest in the Darkness

 

The Light Shines Brightest in the Darkness

October 31, 2020

 

Today I read this opening verse of Psalm 63:

 

O God, you are my God, I seek

                        you,

                   my soul thirsts for you;

my flesh faints for you,

     as in a dry and weary land where

          there is no water. NRSV.

 

As I read those lines I asked myself: Do you? Do you seek God? Do you thirst for God as a person dying of thirst seeks water in an arid place? I thought, I have to be honest here. Most of the time the answer is no. Sure, I’ve been reading a lot of the Bible in these months or isolation because of the pandemic. I’ve written over 350 pages of blog posts during that time, most of them on Christian subjects. In prior years I wrote a book of theology and a book on the Bible. Well, two books on the Bible actually, for I wrote one, then revised it and reissued it. I don’t preach much anymore, but frankly I pray less except when watching my church’s taped worship service on Sunday morning. Despite my status as an ordained minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and my experience as a pastor and Christian author, most of the time I get along reasonable well paying precious little attention to God and doing very little longing for God. So no, I thought, most of the time what the psalmist of Psalm 63, said to be David but who knows, said about himself isn’t much true of me. But then I remembered the one time in my life when I did seek God, when I longed for God to come to help me. I've written much of what follows here before, but I’m going to write about it again for my own sake if not for anyone else’s.

Late in the evening of Wednesday, July 31, 2002, my wife Francie Sorenson, nee Lorance, died of metastatic breast cancer. We’d been together for over thirty years and had been married for the great bulk of that time. She was the first love of my life. She was the mother of our two children. We’d been through a lot together, but I needn’t go into all that here. We loved each other. We were deeply committed to each other. I stayed with her through her final illness. In those times of pain and grief I had a couple of experiences of God that got me through. This is what they were.

Shortly after we learned that Francie’s cancer would take her life I attended a worship service in which one of the hymns was “Won’t You Let Me Be Your Servant.” When I got home I typed up some of the verses of that hymn and gave them to Francie as my pledge to her for the difficult days ahead. They included these two verses:

 

I will hold the Christ-light for you

in the shadow of your fear.

I will hold my hand out to you,

speak the peace you long to hear.

 

I will weep when you are weeping,

when you laugh I’ll laugh with you.

I will share your joy and sorrow

till we’ve seen this journey through.[1]

 

I still tear up when I hear those verses or for that matter when I write them as I did just now for the first time since that day nearly twenty years ago when I gave them to Francie. The phrases in those verses that most touch me are “I will hold the Christ-light for you” and “till we’ve seen this journey through.” We saw it through until she died. I tried through it all to hold the Christ-light for her. The grounding in God that I took from those verses got me through. I like to think that maybe those verses helped Francie get through it all too.

She died. We knew she would. We knew her death was coming, though it came sooner than we’d hoped. I thought I was ready. I wasn’t. I don’t know that it would be possible for anyone truly to be ready for such a loss. I fell apart. I felt a grief and a psychic pain I’d had no idea I was capable of feeling. It simply was more than I could bear. Three days after Francie’s death, on the morning of Saturday, August 3, 2002, I was in the shower weeping uncontrollably. I began to sink to my knees. I just couldn’t hold myself up against all the pain  was overwhelming me. As I dropped to my knees, without thinking about it at all, I said “Lord, lift me up.” Immediately, with my having absolutely no perception of any time passing, I felt myself physically lifted up and put back on my feet. I didn’t lift myself up. I couldn’t have. On my own all I could have done was kneel on the floor of that shower weeping. I’d probably have been there at least until the hot water ran out. Maybe the water turning cold would have gotten me up out of there. I don’t know. I do know that a force from beyond myself was with me in my grief. A force that I can only identify as God responded to my sobbing prayer and lifted me back on my feet. In the darkest moment of my life I turned to God, and God answered me. I can explain what happened no other way. When I was in the darkest depths of despair God was with me. God answered me. For all of the months in which I could hardly get by from day to day because of my grief God got me through.

I write these words three days before the 2020 presidential election. Former Vice President Joe Biden is the Democrats’ nominee. Years ago, just after he had first been elected to the Senate from his home state of Delaware, Biden suffered a loss that makes my loss of Francie seem paltry by comparison. Biden’s wife and very young daughter were killed in a car crash. His two young sons were badly injured. Today I saw a Biden campaign ad featuring his second, current wife, Dr. Jill Biden. She said that she first met Joe a couple of years after he lost his wife and daughter in that terrible car accident. She told of how she had asked him how he ever made it through. She said that he had told her that “the light shines brightest in the darkness.” He meant, I’m sure, that it was his Christian faith (in his case Catholic Christian faith) that got him through. I hear him saying that the Christ-light of which “Won’t You Let Me Be Your Servant” sings shone for him in that time of unimaginable loss and what must have been nearly unbearable grief. I don’t know, but I assume that he turned to God often in that terrible time of his life. What I heard Jill Biden say today tells me that he knew that God was with in his grief and got him through.

I don’t know why it works this way. I just know that it does. The Christ-light shines brightest in the darkness. Just as God gave the people water at Meribah, so when our souls are parched and dying of thirst God gives us the living water of Jesus Christ. God is there to lift us up, put us back on our feet, and get us through. On the cross Jesus cried “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me!” In that despairing cry of dereliction we know, paradoxical though it be, that God never abandons us in our hours of greatest need. If we live long enough we all have times of deep darkness as we go through life. If in these times we turn to God though we feel nothing but despair God will get us through. The light shines brightest in the darkness. Thanks be to God!



[1] From The New Century Hymnal (Cleveland, Ohio, The Pilgrim Press 1995) Hymn no. 539.

No comments:

Post a Comment