Wednesday, November 4, 2020

I'm ashamed of my country.

This is the text of a letter I sent on Nov. 4, 2020, to our local newspaper:

As I write this letter I do not know who won the presidential election. Regardless of whether Biden or Trump wins I am deeply ashamed of my country today. Tens of millions of Americans voted for a man who represents nothing but misogyny, racism, white supremacism, xenophobia, nepotism, personal immorality, a total lack of empathy, and an intense dislike of democracy and the rule of law. We had before us the worst American president at least since the 19th century and possibly ever. The American people should have risen up as one voice and put him out of office with a tsunami of votes that would show the world and ourselves that Donald Trump is not who we are. Instead, even if he loses, we demonstrated that he is who a majority of the people of most of our states are. I am deeply ashamed of my country today. I pray for better times ahead. I wish I could be more optimistic that we will have them.


No comments:

Post a Comment