Sunday, June 27, 2021

Introduction to a Book I May Never Write

 

Introduction to a Book I May Never Write

June 27, 2021

I just reread something I wrote last month but had forgotten about. It is an introduction to a book with the working title Liberating Peace. It is basically an essay that deplores human violence of all kinds. I think it is worth reading so I’ll post it here even though I may never write that book. I think I stopped working on it after I wrote this Introduction because the task I outline in it is so daunting and I feel inadequate to complete it. So for what it’s worth is that Introduction I wrote:

 

Liberating Peace

Introduction

There simply is no denying it. Both human history and present human reality are drenched in blood. The history we’re taught in school is largely the history of wars. Every or at least nearly every human culture we know of has fought wars. From the ancient wars of the Egyptians with the Assyrians (and wars even older than that in the Middle East, China, and elsewhere)to the twenty years of the American war against the Taliban in Afghanistan that President Biden is only now ending, human cultures have used their best minds and their most effective technology to create ever more efficient ways for some people to kill other people. Though we haven’t used them since 1945, today we have enough nuclear weapons to end all life on earth. So do the Russians and perhaps others. We developed those nuclear weapons as part of an armaments race with the bygone USSR. In that country the military had first call on resources both material and human. Why? So the USSR could be as proficient at killing people as the US was, and we couldn’t let them get more proficient at it than we were.

The history of the Christian church is to a considerable extent the history of the church’s relationship to war. Once Christianity became the state religion of the Roman Empire in the fourth century CE the official church abandoned Jesus’ teaching and practice of nonviolence and replaced it with what it called “just war theory.” As we will see in the course of this work, just war theory claimed to place limits on the sort and extent of permissible Christian violence, but as a practical matter it opened the door to Christian participation in whatever violence a Christian’s national government wanted to commit. Christians fought wars against Muslim believers in the Middle East who were no threat to them whatsoever. After Luther, Zwingli, Calvin and others introduced reformed versions of Christianity in Europe, different sorts of Christians willingly engaged in killing each other supposedly in the name of Christ. In the Age of Discovery Christian missionaries followed the imperialist armies of their nations and participated quite happily in destroying native cultures and forcing people to convert to Christianity at the point of a gun. In more recent times German and Allied Christian soldiers may have stopped killing each other long enough to sing Silent Night together one Christmas Eve, but then they went right back to killing each other.

There have always been other Christian voices of course. There have always been Christians who have sought to revive and live by Jesus’ teaching of creative, assertive, but always nonviolent resistance to evil. Tragically, at least since the middle of the fourth century CE, they have always been a small minority of all the world’s Christians. Since it became the official state religion of the Roman Empire in the mid-fourth century CE Christianity has never really succeeded or had any meaningful success at all in stopping the killing.[1]

This work is an attempt at a study of the causes and possible solutions to human violence. It is a daunting task. Human violence comes in so many different forms. There are so many questions that we must ask about it. These include but surely are not limited to:

·         Are we humans biologically programmed to be violent?

·         Does human on human violence arise only with the advent of civilization as some have claimed?

·         If so, why does civilization lead to human on human violence?

·         Why do so many of us abhor human on human violence?

·         Why do so many of us not abhor human on human violence?

·         What are the causes of individual human on human violence?

·         What are the causes of institutional human on human violence, i.e., governmental violence against the government’s own people?

·         What are the causes of nation on nation violence, i.e., war?

·         What are the causes of violence by nongovernmental actors against nations?

·         What are the causes of violence by nongovernmental actors against other nongovernmental actors?

·         Can any of these types of violence be ended?

·         If so, how?

In this work I will attempt to answer at least some of these questions. I will address the fundamental nature and causes of human violence in the myriad ways it presents itself among us. Whether or not I add anything to the literature on the subject remains to be seen.

I certainly do not have all the answers. I am only a rather elderly, retired Christian minister with a background in theology, history, and law. I have committed myself to following and teaching Jesus’ radical rejection of violence and his advocacy of creative, assertive, rejection of violence and his advocacy of assertive, creative resistance to evil for many years now. I have lived for nearly three quarters of a century in a world filled with violence. I have been and am sickened by the gun violence that so plagues our nation. At least since the student movement against the Vietnam war in the late 1960s I have opposed every war my nation has engaged in. I was upset that my nation murdered the murderous Osama ben Laden rather than arrest him and bring him to trial. Capital punishment makes me sick to my stomach. I will turn off any television program that includes or discusses it.

Many of my clergy colleagues are called to work primarily on other issues. A good friend of mine, for example, is passionate about the climate crisis we face and has done much work to educate people about it. God bless her for that commitment and that work. I however have discerned, rightly or wrongly, that God calls me to speak out against human violence as immoral and not God’s way in every guise in which it appears. This work is an attempt to do that in a more systematic way than I have done before. It consists primarily of my personal ruminations on the subject. I only hope that it may spark in you ruminations on the subject of your own.

 

Thomas C. Sorenson

Sultan, Washington, USA

May, 2021



[1] I have heard an interpretation of some history that says that Christianity has at least reduced human violence to a significant extent. The late Donald W. Treadgold, a prominent Russian historian and my PhD advisor, said that one reason why the Soviet Communists were so much more brutal than their tsarist predecessors, killing orders of magnitude more people than the tsars ever did, was that  the tsars were Christians while the Communists were militant atheists. That may be true to some extent, but the tsars were hardly paragons of Christian nonviolence. They had few is any qualms about executing political opponents and sending millions of their people to kill and be killed in the numerous wars they fought up to and including World War I.

No comments:

Post a Comment