Monday, January 1, 2024

1/1/2024 Journal Entry

 

This is the journal entry I wrote for the beginning of a new year.

January 1, 2024

It’s New Year’s Day. People get all excited when a new year begins. I don’t. I don’t for two reasons. One is that all that happens on New Year’s Day is that a number changes on a totally arbitrary calendar. The other is that there is no reason to believe that 2024 will be any better than 2023 was, and 2023 sucked. 2024 begins with wars in Gaza, where Israel is essentially committing genocide, Ukraine, and no doubt elsewhere. Neither of those wars is likely to end any time soon. The big danger 2024 brings is that this fascist-leaning country will elect fascist Donald Trump president and give him a majority in both houses of Congress. If that happens, the United States is finished as a functioning democracy, and the harm the Republicans will do will take decades at least to undo. 2024 may not be bad for me and Jane personally. Jane may retire when she turns 65 in October. We’ll miss her income, modest as it is, but we’ll be OK financially, mostly thanks to Social Security, which the Republicans want to destroy. I’ll turn 78, but as far as I know, I have not life-threatening conditions at the moment. Yes, lots of medical issues, but they’re all under control for now at least. Matt turns 50 tomorrow, which is a bit hard to get my head around. I vaguely remember turning 50 myself, though that was in 1996, a very bad year for me. I actually remember turning 40 better. That was in 1986. I was working for Gibson, Dunn, and Crutcher. I don’t think turning 40 meant much to me, but then I see now that 40 is actually quite young. 78 isn’t. But when Dad turned 78 he still have 14 years to live. When Mom turned 78, she still had seven years to live. So, with any luck, I’ve still got a few to go. The end is a hell of a lot closer than it has ever been, but then I’m younger today than I’ll ever be again. So, we’ll see what 2024 brings. I don’t know that it will bring anything good. I just hope it doesn’t bring anything too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment