Friday, August 13, 2021

Which Gods Will You Serve?

 

Which Gods Will You Serve?

August 13, 2021

 The Scripture quotations contained herein are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright © 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

Several years ago when I had moved into a house near the church I was serving at the time a member of that church gave me a little plaque that had written on it, “As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” I thought it a nice sentiment, but at the time I didn’t know where it came from or its the context, if any. Well, it turns out it comes from chapter 24 of the book of Joshua. In the story in which it appears Joshua, Moses’ successor, had led the Israelites across the Jordan into the land they believed their god Yahweh had promised their ancestors that they would possess. He has fought various battles against the inhabitants of that land, most famously the battle of Jericho. He has distributed the land he has taken from its inhabitants to the twelve tribes of Israel.[1] At the beginning of chapter 24 he has gathered “the elders, the heads, the judges, and the officers” of Israel at the city of Shechem. He says to them:

 

Now therefore revere the Lord, and serve him in sincerity and faithfulness; put away the gods that your ancestors served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. Now if you are unwilling to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served in the region beyond the River or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:14-15.[2]

 

We see that Joshua has given the leaders of the people the choice of serving Yahweh or serving the gods of the people of Mesopotamia (“beyond the River”) or of the Egyptians. Make the choice he says, but “as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord,” that is, we will serve our Israelite god Yahweh and not some foreign gods.

We know from parts of Hebrew scripture that come after Joshua that the Hebrew people were constantly being drawn to the worship of the local gods and goddesses of Canaan, especially the god Baal and his consort Ashera. Perhaps they were drawn to Baal because Baal was, among other things, a weather god . In the ancient religion of the Hebrews Yahweh was a war god and nothing else. It’s good to have a war god I guess when you’re fleeing the Egyptian empire and conquering the people of the land you intend to possess. Once you’ve done that and become settled in the land however, most of the time what you need is a rain god to facilitate the growth of your crops. A war god is pretty much useless in that regard. In any event, the choice of which gods to serve was a big question in ancient Israel.[3]

Now, I assume that choosing between the war god of ancient Israel and the gods of other ancient peoples isn’t an issue for you. I know that it isn’t an issue for me. So does that mean that the choice Joshua put before his people so very long ago means nothing to us? No, I don’t think it means nothing to us. I suppose if I did I wouldn’t be writing this blog post. I think that God actually calls all of us continually to choose what god we will serve, but to understand what I and a lot of other people mean by that contention we need first to consider what the word “god,” not God, means in that statement.

We find the answer to that question in the work of the great 20th century German/American theologian Paul Tillich. Tillich taught that every person has what he called an “ultimate concern.” By that he meant that for every person there is something that is more important to them than anything else. Tillich said that a person’s ultimate concern is that person’s god. It is that to which she looks for fulfillment, care, meaning, and reward. A person’s ultimate concern is that to which he will sacrifice everything else. A person’s ultimate concern can be that which is truly ultimate, i.e., God, or it can be something that isn’t ultimate at all. Tillich thought that most Americans have that second kind of ultimate concern and that the two most common of such ultimate concerns are wealth and the nation.

So many Americans spend their whole lives, their time, their energy, and their resources pursuing material wealth. Material wealth actually is the ultimate concern not only of individuals but of our culture as a whole or at least of white American culture as a whole. We look up to wealthy people and look down on poor people. We equate material wealth with success. We look to money as the ultimate source of our security and wellbeing. When wealth is a person’s ultimate concern he will sacrifice everything in his efforts to obtain it and keep it, often even his family.

Others of us make the nation our ultimate concern. Some whose ultimate concern is wealth may see the nation primarily as a device there to help them get and stay wealthy. For others the nation not wealthy is truly their ultimate concern. These people look to the nation as a source of identity and even pride. They’ll say “I’m proud to be an American” even if they’ve done nothing to make them Americans other than be born here. They’ll say “America first” and “America: Love it or Leave it.” They look to the nation and its various instruments of force (police, the military) as the source and guarantor of their security. Most telling of all, people whose ultimate concern is the nation will do things the nation tells them to do that they would never do on their own. They will join the military and kill other human beings, convincing themselves that they’re just doing their duty and doing it honorably. Never mind that there is nothing honorable about killing. They will put their lives at risk, going “in harm’s way” as they often put it. They will even willingly die if they think their dying will serve the nation.

Those two things, wealth and the nation, are what Tillich thought most Americans’ ultimate concerns are. Based perhaps on my personal experience however, I’d like to suggest a third possible ultimate concern that I believe a great many people have. That other ultimate concern is the family. I’ll use myself as an example. I’m not wealthy, and although I used to be a lawyer I have never considered the pursuit of wealth to be a worthwhile way to live. I oppose a great many things my country does and will not willingly die for it. But I have a family. My parents are gone now, but I still have a twin brother, badly disabled by strokes as he is. More than that I have a wife, two adult children, and five grandchildren. They are the ones for whom I would do very nearly anything. I want to say I wouldn’t kill to protect them, but in dire enough circumstances I might even do that[4]. I would willingly give up my life if I had to in order to keep them safe. Maybe I’m projecting here, but I believe that the family is the ultimate concern not only of many Americans but of many other people around the globe as well.

Here’s what all that has to do with Joshua’s question to his people about which god or gods they would serve. Tillich  taught that a person’s ultimate concern is that person’s god. He taught that an ultimate may be that which is truly ultimate, i.e., God, or it may be something that is not truly ultimate. An ultimate concern that is with something that is not truly ultimate is always idolatrous. Idolatrous ultimate concerns always fail the person who holds them. Wealth does not insure happiness, satisfaction, or security. Pursuing it as an ultimate concern certainly does not bring mental or spiritual health. Our nation fails us in more ways than I can even begin to recite. It fails some of us more than it fails others of us, but in the end, sooner or later, it will do something that seems to us to betray what we thought our nation was. Even the family is an idolatrous ultimate concern. It is idolatrous because like any ultimate concern other than God is it not ultimate. It is not infinite or immortal. Members of our families disappoint and even fail most of us at some time or another. Ask anyone who has raised teenagers, or if you have raised teenagers yourself you won’t have to ask. Only the truly ultimate, that is, only God, will never fail us, although of course to understand that God never fails us we can’t expect God to do things God just doesn’t do.

So we are all faced all the time with the choice of which gods we will serve. Will be serve the small, idolatrous gods that so beguile us and demand our service and loyalty? Or will we serve the one true God, the only reality that is truly ultimate, that is true God and not an idol? Joshua said that as for him and his household they would serve Yahweh, the only god of the Israelites. The text tells us that after he made that commitment all the people joined him in vowing their allegiance to Yahweh.

But what about you? What about me? When I said above that under the most dire circumstances I might even kill to protect my family I actually wrote “I won’t kill” in the first draft of this post. I wanted to say I would not because I am so convinced that that violence is never God’s way and must not be our way either. In writing that part of this post I was experiencing something many people experience. The conflict between different concerns that we might want to be ultimate but only one of which can be can get really messy. That truth does not, however, obviate God’s call to us to make only the truly ultimate, to make only God our ultimate concern.

Making God your ultimate concern doesn’t mean neglect your financial security. It doesn’t mean don’t care about your country and wish the best for her. You can make God your ultimate concern and actually work to make your country the best that it can be, with best meaning what is best in God’s eyes not the world’s eyes. Making God your ultimate concern certainly doesn’t mean neglect or otherwise harm your family. It means always putting God first. It means doing the best you can to see that your non-ultimate concerns are informed by and loyal to the truly ultimate, to God. That’s an easy thing to say and can be a very difficult thing to do. Yet God puts before us all the directive Joshua gave to his people. Choose which god you will serve, the idolatrous god that is not the ultimate or God the only truly Ultimate. May God help us all as we make that decision over and over again throughout our lives.



[1] Sort of like the way we have divided the land we’ve taken from its original inhabitants into states, but never mind.

[2] The word Lord here, spelled in small caps, renders the Hebrew name of God, Yahweh, without actually making anyone utter the name of God, something that in the Jewish tradition one is never supposed to do.

[3] Yahweh would eventually evolve in the people’s consciousness into the one true universal God, but he didn’t start out that way. See Exodus 15:21, where the prophet Miriam sings an ode to Yahweh as a war god.

[4] Then I would beg God’s forgiveness, for I know as Dietrich Bonhoeffer did, that necessity does not make killing moral.

No comments:

Post a Comment