Sunday, February 25, 2018

Living on the Outside



Living on the Outside

I live on the outside. I am a 5 on the Enneagram. That means, among other things, that I am the outsider. I know the Enneagram is right about that. For my entire life I’ve felt like the outsider in nearly every environment I’ve ever been in. My natural inclination is to stand on the outside of things and observe. I observe and analyze far more than I participate. Maybe that’s why I enjoy photography. The photographer is an observer of scenes not a participant in them. I don’t know why that’s how it is with me, it just is. It’s an important part of who I am and of who I’ve always been. I’ve always felt myself to be an outsider, but today in the land of my birth I feel more the outsider than ever. In recent days I’ve found myself wondering how I ever ended up living my life in a country with which I am so out of touch. To use Myers-Briggs terminology for my condition, I’m an INFP in an ESTJ culture. I’m pretty much the opposite of what most of American culture is. I guess that’s always been true, but today it feels more true than ever. Here are some of the ways that dominant American culture and I just don’t fit:

1. I value spiritual things over material things. I know that money can’t buy happiness. It can’t preserve youth. It can’t prevent death. The dominant American culture of which I am a part is all about making money. That old saying “the business of America is business” is true, and I am no kind of businessman. I don’t value commercial virtues. I can’t sell anything, and I don’t want to. Yet in my culture I cannot avoid being bombarded by SELL SELL SELL.  It drives me nuts. The mute button on my TV remote helps, but of course it can’t block out the selling altogether. In advertising I don’t typically see useful information, I see people trying to get my money to benefit them not me. The commercial world turns me off. I’ve always thought of business as what you do when you can’t do anything else, anything more worthwhile, like practice a profession (and contemporary usage to the contrary notwithstanding business is not a profession), like be a doctor, or a teacher, or a pastor. Spirituality has to do with relationships, and in true spirituality the other in your relationship, be it God, or a spouse, or a child, or frankly anyone else, is more important than you are. Spirituality is about losing yourself in relationship. American culture is about aggrandizing yourself at the expense of others. I suppose that’s a kind of relationship too, but it is relationship that doesn’t value relationship. It only values the self.
I left the practice of law, which was well on its way to killing me, to go to seminary and become a small church Christian pastor. To my culture that move makes no sense at all. Law is prestigious, ministry isn’t. You make a lot of money in law, or at least you can. Small church pastors barely make enough to live on. Lawyers make headlines, pastors don’t unless they’ve done something monumentally stupid like damning gay people or predicting the end of the world or are saints of the faith like Martin Luther King, Jr. Being a lawyer led me to burn out and depression. Being a pastor led to deep personal satisfaction and a sense of fulfillment, and to my culture that’s just wrong. It should work the other way around. For me it didn’t.

2. I’m an intellectual in an anti-intellectual culture. I’m far from the most erudite person in the world. I’m not even the most erudite person I know. But I have always valued and to some extent pursued the life of the mind. I have more advanced degrees than I know what to do with—Ph.D., JD, M.Div. I know that ideas matter. I know that how we act is grounded in how we think. I know that cultures change from the top down. I’ve often said that in 1637 Rene Descartes said “Je pense, donc je suis,” I think, therefore I am, and the world hasn’t been the same since. That’s how culture operates. Some lone person sitting at a desk somewhere has some new insight, expresses it, and over the following centuries it changes the world.
My culture is anti-intellectual. It thinks generals are more important than philosophers. It doesn’t just not care about ideas, it is deeply suspicious of people who have ideas and who think ideas matter. At best it dismisses them because it doesn’t want to deal with them. At worst it attacks them and their ideas because those ideas are new and challenge the culture’s long-held beliefs and prejudices. Just look at who we made president in 2016. Donald Trump is the least intellectual president we have perhaps ever had. He doesn’t think, he reacts. He has no guiding ideas, no concepts that ground his actions and give them form and direction. He has no time for people who think. In his disdain for the workings of the mind he reflects the anti-intellectualism of the people who elected him. He is a symptom of the unthinking nature of mass American culture, and we are the worse off for having elected him to the highest office in our land. Yet I shouldn’t be surprised that we did that. Trump is symptom not cause. He is a symptom of a lot of things about America, its anti-intellectualism being prime among them.

3. I teach and practice Christian nonviolence in a violence mad culture. American culture is the most violence prone mass culture of any so-called advanced nation in the world today. We solve problems by shooting at them. When gun violence kills our school children we say put more guns in schools. We maintain an enormous military that devours an absurdly large amount of our national budget and keeps us from doing many far more constructive things. We say everyone in the military is a hero whether they have done anything heroic or not. We don’t call teachers, nurses, pastors, musicians, or artists heroes, though they contribute to life in far more constructive ways than the military does, or at least some of them do. Even our progressive Christians are loath to list nonviolence as one of their values or commitments. The Phoenix Affirmations, for example, don’t mention nonviolence as a central precept. Yet there simply is no doubt that Jesus, the one we Christians supposedly follow, taught and lived radical nonviolence. Not passivity but nonviolence, which isn’t the same thing. When I preach nonviolence I’m called unrealistic. I’m told nonviolence doesn’t work, never mind that in my lifetime it ended British rule in India and apartheid in South Africa. Our country is grounded in violence, violence against the British, Native Americans, Mexico, and Black Americans from slavery on among others. We are a frontier culture that worships the gun. Our popular entertainment consists almost entirely of different versions of the myth of redemptive violence.[1] So does our foreign policy. My commitment to nonviolence perhaps more than anything else about me puts me outside the American mainstream.

So I am an outsider in my own country. I don’t fit. Most of what I see of dominant American culture repulses me. I value the spiritual over the material, the intellectual over the unthinking, and nonviolence over violence. My culture’s values are the reverse of mine. Well, so be it. I’m not going to change American culture, and I sure can’t change the history that gave rise to that culture. I’m never going to fit in, so perhaps I need to stop letting that truth irritate me as much as it does and look at the matter a different way. See, there is a crucial role for the outsider in any culture. The outsider is the only one who can truly critique a culture. Every culture needs outsiders who are willing and able to call it on its failings. Who are willing and able to see through its defenses and its self-delusions to its true essence and to name that essence for what it really is. Who can identify its myths and see through them to its real identity. Who can and will identify those myths as the idolatry that they truly are. I think that’s actually what I’ve been doing for a long time. My audience is small, nearly nonexistent actually. Again, so be it. I’ll keep writing. I’ll keep posting essays on my blog. They will continue to be the essays of an outsider in American culture. Perhaps they will serve some useful purpose precisely because come from where I live, on the outside.


[1] If you don’t know what the myth of redemptive violence is read The Powers That Be by the late Walter Wink.

No comments:

Post a Comment